So I wrote this on March 3rd 2013, but never posted it. So even though it is 5 months later I still want to have this on here. I guess we'll call it a "Throwback Thursday"…
Yesterday I ran the Phoenix Marathon and it was half great and half not so great. I didn't feel like I hit a major "wall" with this marathon. I actually hit a number of mini "walls" though when I seriously questioned whether my body/mind could handle it. Well today I am seriously walking like the Tin Man (from Wizard of Oz) when he first begins to walk again, you know that awkward limpy stiff walk he does, that is how I've been walking all day. It's especially worse when I've been sitting around or haven't been moving my legs much. I look pretty funny :)
Anyway I could somewhat stay in good time for the first 13 miles, then after I hit the halfway point I started losing momentum because my feet were aching pretty bad (I could start to feel them close to mile 8, but brushed it off). I started the hobble jog/walk for basically the last 13 miles. It was not as downhill as the beginning, in fact it seemed so flat I was getting discouraged because I knew how much I needed gravity's help with the last 13. The ache carried into my calves and I almost cried when I saw the 17 mile station had icy-hot and Vaseline. The volunteer rubbed it on my calves and I felt so much better, but then my foot pain overtook that good feeling and I hobbled until Dad stopped along the course at mile 18 and 1/2 or so. He gave me a hug and walked a little ways with me, I told him I was doing ok and that I wanted to finish, I was close enough to 20 and thought that would give me hope of finishing. At mile 17 I started keeping my family updated on where I was, Chelsea and Mom showed up right before mile 20. I was walking and told them how much pain I was in, but that I could push through the last 6 miles, only walking though, jogging did not even feel like an option. Chelsea stuck it out with me, she saw me at my worst point, every step was only causing my feet more pain and I unintentionally started walking funny to ease/lighten the aching. Well that seemed to make my whole lower body hurt so I just took it nice and slow. I felt defeated, walking along the course, who walks that long in a marathon? I kept thinking I needed to toughen up but like I said, even walking those last 6 hurt SO bad I was physically unable. The 6 hour pacer passed Chelsea and I close to the 26 mile marker. I hated knowing I was going past "official race time" but I wanted to finish. I wanted to know I got through 26.2 miles, I didn't want anything but to finish and that's what I got to do. As I approached the finish line, Chelsea stepped aside and I started running, then sprinting through the finish line. It was a miracle to say the least. I feel honored that my body was able to complete another marathon, that my mind was strong enough to push through the negative thoughts and feelings. But most of all that I got to take part in a spiritual sojourn that helped me renew what I've always known: That through Christ ALL things are possible.
When I was on the bus ride up to the starting point, I sat next to an older gentleman who looked like he had lots of experience running marathons. A small group of us in the back talked and got our nerves out. One girl from St. George said it was her first marathon, and I told her how my first marathon was in St. George! The old man next to me replied something along the lines of "Oh so we've got a group of Mormon girls running with us today!" I let him know I was indeed a Mormon and that started some small talk about his life and beliefs. He said he wasn't a very "spiritual" person per-say, but that running marathons brought this strength he couldn't describe so I said how running the St. George Marathon was "like a spiritual sojourn". He instantly agreed that was a good way to sum up how he felt. We talked about the running community and how amazing it all is. It was a great way to start the day. On the course I remember seeing a lady with numbers on her arm. I didn't look very long, and in that glimpse I thought she had written on her arm what she wanted her marathon time to be. It was not until close to mile 15 or 16 that I saw her again, and as she ran in front of me I saw that it wasn't a race time at all. It was a scripture, but not any scripture, its my motto scripture: Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." I needed that reminder. And not only did Heavenly Father provide me strength through people on and along the course but also with something as simple as my playlist. Praise to the Man came on at mile 5, which was all uphill and it caused me to second guess myself, after hearing the song I was given the power to continue. Child's Prayer, Homeward Bound, and some of Hilary Week's songs filled my ears at the most perfect time. I do not doubt that the Lord has His hand in my life, in even the slightest of details.
Tonight I had the opportunity to attend a fireside featuring someone I aspire to be like, Stephanie Nielson. She spoke to the youth of the Val Vista Stake, and my amazing friend Jessica Slater knew Chelsea and I would do anything to see her speak so she invited us {and Mom tagged along too}. Stephanie shared her story and I get teary eyed even as I am just writing this. I hope to be half the women she is, she is so incredibly strong. Her testimony of Christ's healing power and of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ were just so real to me. The Spirit witnessed to me that her words were true, she spoke with so much grace and humility. She has been through more than I can ever imagine: experiencing a plane crash, burning 80% of her body, having her children not recognize her and having to learn to love herself for who she is. She is the most beautiful women I know, her heart is so pure and the light of Christ literally emanates through her. I felt honored to be able to hear her message, her story of Christ's healing power. Christian {her husband} bore his testimony right after, and as he shared his witness I felt that same burning in my heart. God does live, He does love us unconditionally. Christ is the one who can heal us of every pain we can feel on this earth, we only have to put our faith and trust in Him. We have the power to overcome any and every trial put on our path.
No comments:
Post a Comment