Wednesday, June 6, 2012

I Can Do All Things Through Christ

Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start."
Exactly one year, one week and one day ago today Rochelle and I began training for the St. George Marathon. My incredible sister-in-law Kelsey encouraged us to do it; she amazes me and something inside of me sparked and I really had the desire to run my first marathon. I remember it was our (meaning Rochelle and mine, Chelsea wasn't training but running for fun with us) long run for the week. By the end of training my short runs were 2-3 times as long as this first 3 mile run. I remember throughout training just thinking about race day and how on earth I would run for a straight 26.2 miles. Rochelle and I had to start running at the rec center because of the heat; she really kept me going and helped me work through the mentality blocks I'd get. We would run miles without stopping and get yelled at for trying to switch directions because it hurt our legs, it was fun! ;) Our longest runs without stopping got up to 8 miles, we felt great! Sadly all too soon Rochelle's injury happened and she was wheel-chair bound. Now I had to be the responsible one and get my booty on the trails, treadmill, or wherever I could run. Being alone training was extremely difficult for me because I'm not one to wake up really early to go for a run by myself. I found myself at the rec center every weekend from early to late afternoon for hours on end trying to get my long runs in. I would run 15 miles on the treadmill; watching movies on an iPad to keep entertained.

When October snuck up no one thought I was ready. I asked my dad how we were getting to St. Geroge and he thought I shouldn't do it. I was heart-broken, eventhough I struggled with my short runs, I stayed on top of my long runs. I ran 20 miles about 2 weeks before as final preparation and I was not about to just throw that away, I felt ready! Kelsey text me asking me "the plan" right after I had convinced my dad that I was going to do it, that I HAD to do it. A flight to Vegas was quickly arranged and we would drive the rest of the way to St. George. We ended up making it just in time to pick up my packet, talk to Kelsey about how the next day would play out, then eat some Jimmy John's and go get some rest.


I remember waking up early to see friends and family's text wishing me good luck, those little things all added up big time, I mean major support especially the prayers that were said in my behalf that day. I woke up early and got all ready, Dad drove me to Kelsey's hotel and she, her mom and I all ran a shuttle together to take us to where the buses were loading. I rode up with Kelsey and we talked about previous marathons she ran and what not. I think she gave me a good pep talk because I had no idea what strenuous, painful, amazing and exhausting hours lay ahead. At the top I was amazed to see how many runners there were--how could this many people be as crazy as I am to do this?! Well the race began and at first I stuck with Sis. LeSueur's friend Arlene who lives in St. George and runs the marathon every year.  Pretty soon Sis. LeSueur caught up to me and Arlene's pace was a little faster than ours. We ran together for the first 13 miles. Sis. LeSueur is my hero and I don't know if she knows how amazing I think she is. She helped me through the awful hill at mile 7 by telling me the story of when she first ran it and the songs that came on her iPod when it was on shuffle were Come, Come Ye Saints and The Spirit of God. It was so cool and she really kept me going. My mental wall hit about mile 8 and lasted through mile 13, I think I told myself that after the hill, things would get easier...but they didn't. I would get nervous that I wouldn't be able to finish, the anxiety sped up my heart-rate even more and I would have to walk to catch my breath. Pretty soon, even though I was scared to do it, I told Sis. LeSueur to go ahead without me (when just miles before I had thought I couldn't keep going without her). I called Rochelle at mile 15, just to hear her voice, I knew if I heard her voice I could keep going. She let me bawl my eyes out to her and I told her how it was the hardest thing I'd ever done, after she encouraged me and told me that she believed in me and that Heavenly Father would help me, we hung up. She sent me a text that I will never forget: "You can do this coco!! I've been praying for you and you are not alone! Jesus Christ is by your side. Stay strong! Love you" After reading that text, something inside me sparked. I approached mile 16 and I felt great! My confidence was back and I suddenly believed in myself, I often imagined angels along the road, cheering me on and lifting me up. I know without a doubt that I could not have done this marathon alone. It was the strength I was given through others to push me beyond my limits and let me know that ALL things are really possible through Christ.


Beautiful morning view!
Dad was there at mile 23, my body was in much pain from running all the hills, but I ran for him as long as I could. Every few minutes or so I'd try to jog but the pain in my legs would quickly stop me. The end was difficult but soon enough I'd get my reward, a view of the finish line! Reaching that finish line was incredible, I was surrounded by love and support from people I had never met, but who cheered me on as if I was a close friend. I sprinted the last 100 yards or so, and tears started beading down my face because I had dreamed of that moment for months!

         




So my picture collage isn't fabulous but I can't figure out how to make my pictures look better since they were either taken on my phone, or taken from a website that tried to charge me too much money for these pictures. So unfortunately here's the quality that I am settling with...
  

1 comment:

  1. Love it Corinne! And love you!!! I am still so dang proud of you for makin' it happen and being so strong out there! I still feel awful I wasn't at the finish line for you. I hope you decide to do another one some day! You are the best!! I CANT WAIT to see you girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete