Tonight was absolutely the most incredible start to what I'm thinking is going to be a pretty remarkable weekend thats for sure. (Here is a little article about the weekend I have ahead: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865593712/LDS-apostle-Mitt-Romney-among-notable-speakers-at-Arizona-YSA-regional-conference.html?pg=all)
This YSA conference has some incredible speakers lined up, tonight was supposed to be Elder Holland but unfortunately an emergency came up and he couldn't be here. Lucky for us we still had Sheri Dew and then Elder LeSueur and his wife, he is the new temple presidents for the Gilbert Temple (which the open house is in exactly one week! Yay!). The fireside was held at Gammage, and it was cool to see how they transformed the stage and had a pulpit and organ. We sang "We Thank Thee O God For a Prophet" and I felt as though I was in the conference center. It is amazing to be gathered with so many members of the church. I love it. Sister Dew was the first speaker and she just is so incredible. I just recently read her book "If Life Were Easy it Wouldn't Be Hard" which has been so applicable to my life, all the messages she shares in that book I find I am almost constantly thinking about something she mentioned or telling someone {mainly Robby, or Megan and Diana a little bit :) } Something that struck me was when she began her talk was something along the lines of "Not only do I wish for the Spirit to accompany/direct me but mostly I hope it will direct YOU." She talked about how the Spirit can interpret the "feeble" words which she would speak to become revelation and inspiration for each individual. Sister Dew began her talk with a video of an old show "Candid Camera", in the clip we watched a number of people who entered an elevator where the crew would enter and face the back of the elevator, so the one person not part of the crew would eventually end up turning to face the same way. Another part of the clip showed a guy who even took of his hat and put it back on when 2 of the undercover crew members took off their hats and put them back on. Sister Dew then spoke about how it could be seen as peer pressure/not wanting to be different or stand out. She then went on to say how she felt it was mainly about influence. Then she asked us who influenced us? Is it people of the world? Or is it Christ? She talked about how we are a chosen people, saved for this day and age because God knew we could stand up to the wickedness that would most definitely be apparent in the last days. She invited us to read D&C 138, to study and ponder on how our Heavenly Father feels about each of us and our divine mission here on this earth. She spoke about a trip she took to Africa and how a 8 hour flight turned into a 24 hour flight/ ordeal that she could've figured out had she made 2 phone calls (to the mission president residing in Africa) She shared another story of how she had an ID/access card to a lot of church buildings/offices but she did not know the ID was an access card until two days after she was released from her calling in the General Relief Society Presidency (so the access was going to be turned off the day she found out about what it did exactly). She talked about how we have SO many resources available for our benefit but how often do we not use what is given to us. She shared about how true conversion is immersion. Immersion in the scriptures, immersion in our covenants, immersion in all things virtuous and righteous. She bore her incredible witness of the Savior and His enabling and redeeming power. She mentioned the covenants we make and the incredible blessings we are able to receive. I was reminded of a quote I shared in institute, it was in Elder Bednar's talk in April of 2009 titled "Honorably Hold a Name and Standing". The quote says how our "baptismal covenant clearly contemplates a future event or events and looks forward to the temple". Sister Dew bore such an incredible witness and I am so grateful to have been able to hear her speak, and to have felt the Spirit "translate" her words into something that deeply spoke to my heart.
There is so much more to write but I need to get some rest before I go again tomorrow to be even more spiritually fed!
No comments:
Post a Comment