Friday, November 23, 2012

Thankful

Happy Thanksgiving! 

While prepping for our dinner Grandma asked me to put on Christmas music. Well we Grimes' have a huge selection, so I started with one I thought would be unique {like maybe one we hadn't heard on the radio already!} Manheim Steamroller, only I got tired of it pretty soon. I put on Josh Groban's "Noel" CD and what do ya know, the song Thankful comes on that I didn't even remember was on the CD. It was no coincidence, I needed to hear those words. The lyrics to this song are so powerful I have to share them:

Some days we forget to look around usSome days we can't see the joy that surrounds usSo caught up inside ourselvesWe take when we should give

So for tonight we pray forWhat we know can beAnd on this day we hope forWhat we still can't see

It's up to us to be the changeAnd even though we all can still do moreThere's so much to be thankful for

Look beyond ourselves, there's so much sorrowIt's way too late to say, “I'll cry tomorrow”Each of us must find our truthWe're so long overdue

So for tonight we pray forWhat we know can beAnd every day we hope forWhat we still can't see

It's up to us to be the changeAnd even though we all can still do moreThere's so much to be thankful for

Even with our differencesThere is a place we're all connectedEach of us can find each others love

So for tonight we pray forWhat we know can beAnd on this day we hope forWhat we still can't see

It's up to us to be the changeAnd even though this world needs so much moreThere's so much to be thankful for



This year was our year for Thanksgiving with Joe and Kels, so it was great being able to have them along with Grandma and Pops. My mom's cousin's son {I think?} and his wife came over along with Kelsey's brother JT. We had a delicious non-traditional meal with a few different salads, mac n' cheese, and some Alaskan salmon and shrimp. It was super random but still delicious. And well, I personally loved it! I'm sure most people think it's odd that we seem to not mind what we eat on Thanksgiving, but we are ok with being "odd" :) For desert we had ice cream with chocolate or pumpkin pie. Oh and it was Tillamook ice cream, which I was just introduced to tonight, and it is incredible stuff!

I feel incredibly blessed to have all that I do. Like the song says "Some days we can't see the joy that surrounds us" and that is very true for me. I know I often lose sight of the most important things in life and I'm grateful for our Savior Jesus Christ who willingly forgives me for my weaknesses and trespasses. I am grateful for a knowledge of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. I am grateful to have a healthy body and working mind. I am grateful to be surrounded by wonderful family and friends who love and care for me.

Tonight I am especially grateful to have felt my nephew kick {or punch?} for the first time! :) Yep they are having a BOY! I am grateful that Joey and Kelsey get to fulfill their divine roll as parents to this little man and make me an aunt!  

No comments:

Post a Comment